The Connaught Global Challenge: Sir Richard Friend on Metro Morning CBC Radio One.
Plants are exquisitely evolved to capture and store solar energy. As researchers learn more about how plants do it, it can help them create solar cell technology that is essential for our survival. Matt spoke with Sir Richard Friend of Cambridge Universit
Learning Energy Lessons from plants - The Toronto Star.
Learning energy lessons from plants. Scientists have been aware of how plants use photosynthesis to convert sunlight for their own use for some time but have only recently been untangling some of the intricacies of how it actually works.
Welcome to the Sargent Group
In our work and our team we unite chemistry, physics, and engineering within eight experimental laboratories at the University of Toronto.
Our mission is to:
- advance the physics and chemistry of optoelectronic materials and devices, and to apply this knowledge to solve real-world problems in sustainable energy, sensing and medical diagnostics;
- contribute to the preservation of the natural environment and to the advancement of information technology, human health, and the vibrancy and growth of the innovation economy;
- collaborate with academic and industry experts around the world to maximize the impact of our work;
- equip our group members with the vision and the tools to make a significant impact in the fields to which their passions take them, and our alumni with a tightly-woven, supportive, and straight-talking network of committed friends and collaborators for life;
- work towards these goals by attracting a diverse and inclusive team of researchers from all relevant disciplines, from around the world;
- foster a culture of win-win teamwork; of communication that clarifies and finds analogies, connections, synergies, and new avenues; and of striving for excellence.
We apply discoveries in nanoscience towards applications relevant to energy, health, and sensing.More Info
Our group publishes in prominent journals in the field of nanotechnology, chemistry and materials science.More Info
Our group members come from diverse backgrounds spanning chemistry, physics and engineering.More Info